My spiritual journey: moments of clarity, ponderings, and vast irritations

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Eyebrow Waxing

Terrifyingly bushy eyebrows - this is a recurring problem for me. I am terrible at brow maintenance. I hate it. I despise it. I would rather be stung by a bee than pluck/wax my eyebrows. (not that I enjoy being stung, for I do not... however I rarely get stung anyway, unless I step on one... I'm one of those bee charmer people... oh, sorry that's another story) There is something about that feeling as I stare into the mirror and rip out my own hair that just turns my stomach miserably! First tears well up in my eyes, then there is a slight twinge in my stomach followed by a mild churning. Before long I am so sick I have to lie down for a while. I am quite unable to finish both brows in one sitting, and often times I can't even finish one. Forget tweezing strays every day or so. It just doesn't happen. So most of the time I go simply ages between brow care.
Want to know the strange part though? I enjoy having someone else do my brows for me! I actually find it quite relaxing! I lie back in the chair, rest my head on the towel, and for a few moments someone else does a chore that I dread! And it doesn't make me the slightest bit queasy! In fact, I look forward to getting them done! It's the craziest thing! Waxing or tweezing? Not a problem if another person is in charge. I should just schedule regular appointments and avoid the bushy monster eyes altogether!
So what does this have to do with my desire to grow in Christ? Must everything have a spiritual application? Can't I just write about my quirky eyebrow issues?
Okay, you know me too well! Yes, there is a point to all of this! How many times do I have that something in my life that has to be done on a regular basis... and I dread it. In fact, I dread it so much it makes me nauseated. My stomach starts to hurt, I need to lie down for awhile. I put it off for weeks and weeks because I don't want to even think about how miserable it makes me... But why? Why do I suffer for so long when all I have to do is phone up Jesus and give it over to him? It's silly. I know I'm no good at it, I know it will make me stressed and crazy, and still I try it on my own. I know that if I let him take care of everything that everything will go seamlessly while I lie back and rest in his arms. It's soo foolish to think that maybe I should give it a go one more time... perhaps this time it will be okay... It never fails that I just end up frustrated and ready to quit. If only my first thought was, "I know this guy who's like absolutely amazing at doing this! He never fails to get it right. He never makes me feel uneasy, and never hurts me. In fact, he's soo gentle with me that I could fall asleep while he works! It's sooo relaxing going to see him... just like a day at the spa! I leave feeling like a new woman! He always does a fantastic job!"
So instead of me trying to do my daily spiritual maintenance... I need to let Jesus take care of it all! He's the best there is in the biz!

No comments: