My spiritual journey: moments of clarity, ponderings, and vast irritations

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Celine Dion

Part of my one year plan is to read one musician/songwriter biography a week. I more fiction in a week than that, so it shouldn't be difficult to accomplish. I am looking for 'why' they pursued their dream, what it was that gave them their lucky break, mistakes they made along the way, and any little tidbits that really speak to me.

The first book I'm reading is Celine Dion's My Story, My Dream. I've only read the prologue at this point, but have already picked up on a few amazing truths.

1. Don't forget your little dreams on your way to pursuing your big dream.
From the time she was a child Celine always said she would buy a horse with her first paycheck as a singer. She bought high heels instead. Years later she looked back on that with sadness. So many of her small dreams had been lost along the way due to schedules, parties, and new dreams.

2. There will always be new dreams along the way to your big dream.
We will always be growing up along the way... discovering new things about ourselves... things that may have been there all along, but we never realized it.

3. When you accomplish your big dream, what then?
There will always be a dream bigger than your big dream that you haven't dreamed yet. Life does not end when we have accomplished all that we set out to do! Life is more than just a feather in your cap for a job well done. There will be greater and greater visions as we grow into who we were meant to be. Don't be afraid to dream big and even bigger!

4. Your big dream is not what defines you.
If you have done everything in your life to reach that fantastic place that you've always envisioned and then reached it, don't be afraid to take a break. I will still be me if I don't sing or write music. Even your favorite things can become just another job. Realize that it's okay to relax even from your dreams, goals and purpose.

If you are trying to find all those exact statements in the prologue, you wont! They are just little things I figured out while reading! ;)

Back to the book now.

No comments: