My spiritual journey: moments of clarity, ponderings, and vast irritations

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Do I have guilt or shame?

I recently heard a Christian song that was based on the Old Testament prayer in
II Chronicles 7:14
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

It is a wonderful prayer as it applies to the Old Testament Jew; however, the song (and the verbal appeals from the worship leader) took this verse and appealed for Christians to come to God with their guilt and shame and seek forgiveness. And then a period of time at the end of the song was spent in repeating the phrase "Lord hear us from heaven."

I mean no disrespect to the song writer, or the singers, as I could feel the passion in their words, and hear the passion in their voices, but we are not Old Testament Jews. We are bought and paid for by the blood of Christ; we have the very righteousness of God imputed to us - we have NO guilt, and NO shame! There is no need for forgiveness, because all of our sins - past, present and future - are forgiven!

I can go boldly before the thone of grace; I need not cower in guilt and shame. I stand in front of my Father just as though I had NEVER sinned! I am justified! And I need not be embarrased or hide my face over the mistakes I make, big or small, God loves me just the same! There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

But what of this phrase "Lord, hear us from heaven?" So many times I have prayed and felt like I was praying up to the clouds... like God was so far away, how could he possibly hear. Sometimes, it was like my prayers were bouncing back to me! God was so high above me, it seemed like I had to pray more and more fervently and weep passionately for him to hear. To just whisper a prayer to him was nonsensical, as he had so much on his mind, that he would never pause to listen to me. I had to grab his attention!

And so we beg, "Lord, hear us from heaven!" Is that how it really is? Nope! Of course, Jesus is seated on the right hand of the Father this very minute, but he is also here. Right now! In me! In every Christian. He is closer than a whisper; he hears my every thought! Before I utter a word in prayer, he knows my heart and has already begun to formulate his response. Those times when prayers bounce of the walll of clouds and back, are the times when I have forgotten that I have direct entrance to the throne of God within my very being. I have forgotten who I am! I am the temple. I house the throne room. In shouting at the clouds and begging for his attention, I am acting as though I do not have permission to tap him on the shoulder for my slightest need. Jesus is here!! WOW! It blows me away!

I think maybe the reason so many of us feel the need to shout for God's attention is because it seems to good to be true that we have such open and easy access to him. It is easier to doubt and cry out to the heavens, than to trust and whisper our thoughts.

So, there is no guilt, there is no shame, there is no more need for forgiveness, and he is ever present within us to hear our prayers.

One more thought... II Chronicles 7:14 was in reference to the Jew's actual land. As New Testament Christians we have no land holdings. We are joint heir's with Christ in the Kingdom of God, but that is a land that does not need healing! This verse really doesn't apply to us anyway.

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

Hmmmm, interesting. That is one of my favorite prayers in the Bible, and I have heard it said many a time in modern services and never had a problem with it. A couple of thoughts: 1. We don't have to carry our shame. We can give it to Jesus and lay it at His feet. He has paid for it. However, our fleshly self and our spiritual self are still at war. There are times we feel guilty or shamed. This is a sign that there is something we need to get right with God about. If I feel ashamed, Jesus wants me to come to him and confess that. This is where my relationship with him comes in. If I feel guilty, I might avoid him.

2. I have heard this used as a corporate prayer which can be used on behalf of the world around us who is not saved. Like the church should be praying for healing for the land. There are many poisonous things in this world, and we need to pray for His mercy in these days. I believe that prayer is a called for "my people" that is God's people to humble themselves and pray for healing for our sinful world.

All in all, I still believe it is a relevant prayer and it is not incorrect to pray it. But maybe in this case it was used incorrectly.

SacrificeofPraise said...

1. Jesus did not die because we "feel guilty" or because we "feel ashamed." He died to remove our sins. This He did when He died "once for all." What you are describing is false guilt. The solution is not prayer but truth. If false guilt is a lie from Satan, and if it causes you to avoid Jesus, then it has done its job. This prayer is NOT for the believer.

2. You write that "we need to pray for His mercy" and "pray for healing for our sinful world." After looking at the Cross, do you really believe that God withheld some mercy? That he was holding something back until 'we' prayed for more? No. God has already provided all the mercy that He will ever provide, and He can't provide more simply because His people beg Him for it. As for the lost, the command is to "preach the Gospel"...again, it is the truth that they need, not more prayers. Sadly, our prayers are used as an excuse not to obey the Great Commission.

This prayer is an Old Covenant prayer begging God to do what He had not yet done. Looking from this side of the Cross, it is not only non-relevant, but it is not based upon faith in what God has declared. It is, therefore, unanswerable, because God will not hear what is not based in faith upon what He himself has stated.

~Chris, Rebecca's husband

p.s. Hope that didn't sound too harsh, I was just trying to be accurate in the words that I chose and not be all wishy-washy. Many sweet believers believe like you do, and I don't mean to offend them. It's simply not biblical for the NT believer to pray this way. CHeers!

SacrificeofPraise said...

Well, there you have it! LOL I was gonna type up a reply, but he saw this and sat down and took over. How bout I type up my reply as a new blog? Cuz I started and it just kept going and going and going... LOL

SacrificeofPraise said...

Oh, quick reply on the Chronicles prayer:
I realize we physically live in a land that has issues and needs prayer, But I was just saying that taken in context II Chronicles 7:14 really doesn't apply to us.
God says "my people" turn from "their wicked ways" I will "hear them from heaven," heal "their land," and "forgive their sins."

We are his people, and under the New Covenant we are righteous, God has forgiven us all our sins, hears us as the indwelling Spirit, and we have a perfect land that needs no healing.

Just seems more like the Chronicles prayer and the New Testament Christian's prayer should be total opposites :)

As for praying for physical land (i.e. America!), I think it would be more appropriate to join Paul in praying for our nation to be saved. (his desire for Israel was for them to be saved)