My spiritual journey: moments of clarity, ponderings, and vast irritations

Friday, February 19, 2010

25?

May 22, 2008
So... I'm sitting here, and it dawns on me that I'm turning 25 in less than a month. Whoa! 25? Seriously? Me? I don't feel 25... In fact, really, what is the difference between 25 and 24? (Besides a whole year!) And really, what was 24 all about anyway?
I look back on turning 16 and how that was like this huge deal... I had to have grand celebration. Of course the masquerade ball in Civil War costume wasn't in the budget, so I ended up having a few friends and family over for cake and ice cream. Somehow my sensiblities were extrememly offended at not being thrown the birthday bash of the season... the coming out party of all coming out parties... because I was 16! I was a woman!
And then there was 18, and what is for most teens the beginning of an adult life. For me it was more than I'd ever dreamed because on that day my very first birthday present came in the form of a diamond engagement ring from Christopher (at midnight!). I was married only three months later and so began my adult life. Surely 18 was the best age of all!
But then I realized that I was still a mere teenager in an adult world... "21!" They said, "That is when you are truly grown up." So I looked forward to each birthday until that magical age came upon me...
It came. And so did 22, 23, and 24. Funny, I've looked forward to turning 25 ever since I turned 21... Somehow I thought I'd be really going places by now, am I truly just one year older?
I googled "25th birthday" and found that Kate Bosworth, Taylor Hanson, Ne-Yo, and Carrie Underwood share my birth year, Britney Spears really upped the insanity on her 25th birthday, and a woman died in a car crash a day after she turned 25 just a few days ago. People with great careers, people losing their minds, and people stepping out into eternity. Hmm... apparently it's the same as any other year. It's life.
So what do I have to show for my life? How have I changed since the last 'magical age milestone'?
I suppose others see those things more than I do, but I immediately think of being a mother to my two kids, being more confidant, and letting Jesus have control over my life. (That last one is HUGE!)
June 10th... 25... I think it's time to slow down and watch what happens in each year instead of looking ahead. Besides, what's to look ahead to? LOL This is going to be a great year!

No comments: