My spiritual journey: moments of clarity, ponderings, and vast irritations

Friday, February 19, 2010

Ask, Seek, and Knock

October 1, 1007

Hey, I'm reading With Christ in the School of Prayer by Andrew Murray (which is phenomenal so far BTW) and I ran into a really neat thought in chapter 5 page 33:

"In the three words the Lord uses, ask, seek, knock, a difference in meaning has been sought. If such was indeed His purpose, then the first, ASK, refers to the gifts we pray for. But I may ask and receive the gift without the Giver. SEEK is the word Scripture uses of God Himself; Christ assures me that I can find Himself. But it is not enough to find God in time of need, without coming to abiding fellowship: KNOCK speaks of admission to dwell with Him and in Him. Asking and receiving the gift would thus lead to seeking and finding the Giver, and this again to the knocking and opening of the door of the Father's home and love."

I just really love how his thought processes lead to a focus on the indwelling Christ. Christ in you! I am reminding of the verse in Revelation where Christ stands at the door and knocks and wants to come in and sup with his church. To fellowship... to dwell...

We focus so much on this verse in the context of what "I can get" from God and all the time He is saying "Sure, I have much to give you to bless your life, but the supreme blessing is FINDING me and KNOWING me and ABIDING in me and I in you!"

It just hit me really hard this morning for some reason.

No comments: