My spiritual journey: moments of clarity, ponderings, and vast irritations

Friday, February 19, 2010

Worship

April 13, 2007
Worship... The central focus of the Christian life... (Not to be confused with love being the central docrine although the two flow hand in hand in unity.) But do we truly worship? I remember the days of standing in church singing the words to all the hymns by heart, but was my heart involved? Who was I really singing for? Why was I singing? Where were my thoughts? I can honestly say that I know none of those answers had anything to do with our Saviour. And what about the remainder of the week? I read my Bible, I prayed... because it was required of me. Was there any thought to the maker of the universe... the Redeemer of my soul? No. This was not worship, this was going through the motions of Christianity. Worship Him in spirit and in truth. I did neither. How many of us live our lives this way? And then one day I realized just how much Christ really had done for me. I realized that he offered more for me than the bondage of routine and requirements. He wanted to give me freedom and liberty and joy in Him! No, He already had given those things to me, I was just living as if He hadn't. I realized that all He wanted was for me to surrender my life to His control so that I could enjoy my life to it's fullest! Abundant life! He really did have my best interests in mind. THEN I began to understand worship, for I was beginning to KNOW the One I was to be worshiping. He is everything to me... my very existence. He deserves all the praise, all the glory and all the honour. He alone is worthy of the all the passion our hearts can pour out in our most exuberant moments. It belongs to Him. Not just on Sunday... but on everyday of the week! I can't stop myself anymore... nope... just can't. I love to praise my Saviour Jesus Christ! It takes a darkest day and turns it to brightest joy. It takes the worst of circumstances and gives the peace to get through them... for worship is communion with Christ Himself... He actually talks back! And through that our soul is restored to fullness of joy and peace and love so that we are walking in Christ, abiding in Christ as the New Testament shows. The most blessed of moments are in your alone times with Christ when you are worshipping Him freely and He communes with you so that He just reaches out and touches you... When His presence in the room is so strong that you can't deny His reality, His almost tangibility. That is worship. That is communion. I pray that you all grow to a point in your lives where you can say that you have experienced such a time and that you experience it regularly.

No comments: